- Increase coordination among state, federal and local stakeholders in EPA Region 7 with regards to broad-scale assessments of the ecological integrity of freshwater resources.
- Increase knowledge about the availability and limitations of existing geospatial data pertaining to human threats and GIS-based methods of environmental assessment.
- Develop a centralized repository of the most accurate and recent geospatial data pertaining to human threats within EPA Region 7 in order to increase efficiency and standardization of efforts to document, prevent, reduce and eliminate water pollution.
- Quantify the number, density, areal extent, and percentages for a variety of human land uses for every stream reach contained in the 1:100,000 NHD within Iowa, Kansas, and Nebraska.
- Develop scientifically rigorous, standardized, and regionally accepted synoptic indices that can be practically applied within a GIS and account for;
a. local, watershed, and upstream riparian disturbances that negatively affect ecological integrity of surface waters, and
b. differences in the magnitude and type of disturbance among all possible human threats that are identified.
- Calculate the resulting Synoptic Human Threat Indices for every stream reach contained in the 1:100,000 NHD within EPA Region 7.
- Validate the accuracy of the resulting Synoptic Human Threat Indices.
Funding for this project was provided by a U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region VII Wetland Program Development Grant; additionally, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region VII, through the Missouri Department of Natural Resources, has provided partial funding for this project Under Section 319 of the Clean Water Act.
- An Eco-Logical Approach to Infrastructure Development for the East-West Gateway Council of Governments
- Aquatic GAP Pilot Project
- Aquatic Species Distribution Modeling and Threat Analysis in the Northwestern Plains Ecoregion
- Assessing the Effects of Conservation Practices on Aquatic Biota in the Missouri River Basin
- Assessment of Natural Resources and Watershed Conditions for the Ozark National Scenic Riverways and Effigy Mounds National Monument
- Conservation Focus Area Identification
- Midwest Glacial Lakes Partnership Lakeshed Data Suite Development
- The Imperiled Coldwater Crayfish (Orconectes eupunctus) in the Black River Drainage of Missouri and Arkansas